Is Leelanau Right For Me?
While many schools will tell you who fits best at their school in terms of IQ, test scores and personality types, we value each of our Leelanau students as a unique individual.
We don’t use a “one-size-fits-all” approach. At The Leelanau School, learning is a two-way street. We don’t just expect you to learn, we hold ourselves accountable to learn who you are.
Not all Leelanau students have an identified learning difference. Many of our students simply want to experience a school setting where experience guides learning, where you can’t hide in a classroom, and where you become one big, interesting family with your classmates, house parents and faculty.
Most of our students have experienced success in learning at some point, but may have felt that success has slipped away from them, and want that “aha” feeling back.
We know first impressions are not always accurate, so we keep interacting with you to find your unique strengths, talents and gifts, and what areas you need to work on and develop.
These characteristics will definitely help you succeed at The Leelanau School:
- Openness to trying new learning methods
- A sense of belief in yourself (which will grow the longer you are here)
- Creative problem solving — (some of our students are real work-around experts)
- Interest in living a healthy lifestyle
- Openness to guidance
- Connection to nature
- Playfulness and willingness to have fun inside and outside of the classroom